Excellence in Global Engagement Honored
International Affairs recognizes outstanding NC State faculty, staff and students who are making significant contributions to the university’s internationalization every year at the Global Engagement Exposition. The 6th annual event was held on April 19th at Talley Student Center and recognized individuals across the university in four different categories. The event also featured information tables from units responsible for international programs and 10 poster presentations focused on global research and scholarly programs. Congratulations to all of the 2016 nominees, award and scholarship recipients!
Recognition for Leadership in International Education
Recipients of this award were selected by Office of International Affairs units in three categories: Study Abroad, Student Success, and Outreach & Extension. The purpose is to honor and celebrate individuals who have made outstanding contributions towards the internationalization of NC State.
- Study Abroad: Ms. Liz Moran | College of Textiles
- Student Success: Mr. Paul Tongsri | Office of Student & Community
- Outreach & Extension: Ms. Jennifer Capps | Entrepreneurship Initiative
Outstanding Global Engagement Award
To encourage and recognize outstanding accomplishment in globally engaged teaching, research, extension, and/or engagement and economic development. Nominees have a well-established and ongoing record of international activities while working at NC State, going above and beyond regular job responsibilities. Award recipients were selected by the International Operations Council.
2016 Award Recipients:
- Dr. John Brake | College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Dr. Rudolf Seracino | College of Engineering
- Dr. Craig Yencho | College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Dr. Slavko Komarnytsky | College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Dr. Jonathan Kramer | Division of Academic & Student Affairs
- Dr. Ann Ross | College of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Dr. Kay Villa-Garcia & Mr. Leonardo Villa-Garcia | College of Humanities & Social Sciences
Jackson Rigney International Service Award
To recognize the distinguished contributions of a faculty or staff member for the promotion of international understanding and service to the university and/or to the international community over the course of their career. The award honors the late Dr. Rigney, an agronomist who served NC State for 40 years bringing a global perspective to his life and work which serves as a model for those who seek to promote international education. Award recipient was selected by the Committee on International Programs.
2016 Award Recipient:
- Dr. Rick Brandenburg | College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Mr. Roberto Nunez | College of Engineering
- Dr. William Oxenham | College of Textiles
- Dr. Fredrick Semazzi | College of Sciences
Jackson Rigney Study Abroad Scholarship:
These awards recognize students for academic achievement. Recipients are selected for their ability to serve as ambassadors abroad and to positively impact NC State upon return.
- Connor Battershall | Will be studying at Lille Catholic University in Lille, France for the 2016-2017 academic year. Majors are International Studies and Business Administration.
- Kensley Cox | Will be studying at Sophia University in Tokyo, Japan for the 2016-2017 academic year. Majors are International Studies and Foreign Language/Lit.
- Sedona Hilt | Studied abroad in London during the summer of 2015. Major is Industrial Engineering.
- Matthew Iezzi | Will be studying at Hong Kong Polytechnic University in fall 2016. Major is Textile Technology.
- A Service Learning Project to Build a Sustainable Enterprise for Underprivileged Women
Mary Madden & Divya Ramaswamy
- Building the Renewable Energy Technology SciBridge Between Africa and the U.S.
Veronica Augustyn, Christopher Boggs, Tyler Boquet-Caron, Shelby Boyd, Julian Brodie, Alexandria Cruz, Andrew Squires & Ruocun Wang
- Curriculum Integration and Research Collaboration with the School of Civil, Environmental and Mining Engineering, The University of Adelaide, Australia
- Engaging Maasai Youth in Giraffe Conservation Research: An NCSU-supported Citizen Science Project in Kenya
Lisa Mills & Rebecca Nishida
- Entrepreneurship Initiative: Entrepreneurial Engagement Around the World
Jennifer Capps & Megan Greer
- Experiential Tourism in the Peruvian Andes
Carla Barbieri, Claudia Gil Arroyo & Sandra Sotomayor (Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola, Peru)
- Global Engagement of the Cheng Lab in Australia, China, and Japan
- GTI Global Leadership Program