Kena and Ziki live very different lives in Nairobi. Kena works in her father’s shop and awaits the start of nursing school, while Ziki passes the days hanging out with her friends and making up dance routines. Their paths cross when their fathers run against each other for seats in the County Assembly, and they find themselves drawn to each other. Soon their interest grows to affection and the girls find ways to love each other despite the ever-watching gaze of the neighborhood.
Genre: Drama, Romance
Language: English, Swahili (CC available)
How It Works
Step 1: Watch Academic introduction
Introduction generously provided by G. Perusi Benson, PhD. Student in Applied Social and Community Psychology at NC State University.
Step 2: Stream the Film
- There are two ways to stream Rafiki, both of which are free.
- Stream through Vimeo (available through 10/18): Register Here
- Stream through Tubi (free with limited ads)
- https://tubitv.com/movies/548139 (or download the Tubi app and search for Rafiki)
- Best for viewing on a Smart TV. The Tubi App is available on iOS Android, Roku, Fire TV, and Apple TV. No account creation required.
Step 3: Join Us for a Discussion
We invite all to join us for a live facilitated discussion of Rafiki, as part of the Feminist Friday event series.
Friday, October 16th, 2020 2:30pm – 3:30pm