A copy of your position description will be provided to you on your first day and your supervisor will review it with you during a scheduled meeting time.
The Human Resources Manager will assign equipment, keys/key cards, system access, gear, etc. as appropriate and will complete the Asset Tracking form with you soon.
You will be added to the following email groups and listservs.
- Office of Global Engagement
- Your unit’s (if applicable)
- During your first week contact Becky Kirkland in University Communications to have your headshot taken.
- Email your headshot to Carl Thomas, email@example.com so that we can post it on the website.
You will be assigned a buddy.
The purpose of being assigned a buddy is to provide you with a casual, reliable, single point-of-contact for your basic questions regarding our department.
Expectations of your buddy are to:
- Serve as a casual resource to answer routine questions regarding basic operational issues, department practices, and department culture. Some examples may include:
- Where the bathrooms are located
- Good places to eat for lunch
- Parking tips
- How to get around the building
- Build on the knowledge you obtained in New Employee Orientation and/or the Office of Global Engagement’s Onboarding
- Help make introductions
- Respect confidentiality
- Follow up with you on a regular basis during the first few months
Your buddy will not serve as a mentor and is not responsible for your job performance. If questions arise regarding performance or policy matters, your buddy may give their opinion and advice on how to approach the situation, however, is not in a position to resolve the matter. You should reach out to your manager for the resolution of relevant issues.
Your buddy will expect you to:
- Display an eagerness to learn
- Display a coachable attitude
- Receive constructive criticism in good spirit
New Employee To-Do List (Click Here for List)
Policies and Regulations
NC State University Policy, Rules, and Regulations
Office of State Human Resources (OSHR) Website: http://www.oshr.nc.gov/
Office of State Human Resources (OSHR) Policies Manual: http://www.oshr.nc.gov/Guide/Policies/policies.htm
Work Periods and Time Away from Work
Scheduling is the responsibility of the department manager. The department must maintain coverage during the business hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. The Senior Vice Provost must approve exceptions to these guidelines.
In the event of unfavorable/unsafe weather conditions the university functions under the Adverse Weather Policy. Employees should notify their supervisor if they are unable to make it into the office.
Adverse Weather Procedures
Please refer to the Adverse Weather Policy for complete details