Global Advantage: Career Prep for Globally Engaged Students
Join the units of NC State Global and the NC State Career Development Center on Friday, February 3, 2023 from 5:30 PM – 9:00 PM for an event that will help you identify ways to leverage your global experiences and cultural competence during the job and internship search process.
This year’s event will feature two workshops led by staff from the Career Development Center. The first will address LinkedIn and how to use that platform effectively. The second workshop will focus on interview skills and include time to practice with your peers. The workshops will be followed by an alumni panel discussion where they will share how their global experiences helped them get a job and how they use those skills in their jobs. A networking reception will end the evening where snacks and drinks will be served.
As a result of participating in this event, students will:
- Recognize international experience as a competitive advantage when job searching and develop skills to articulate its benefits
- Understand how to leverage their LinkedIn profile during the job search process
- Be more familiar with tips on how to give a successful interview
- Receive advice on the job search process from NC State alums who have been in their shoes
- Gain confidence through networking with NC State alums, staff, and fellow students in preparation for upcoming career fairs and future job searches.
Business casual dress is encouraged but not required.
- 5:00 – 5:30 PM | Check-in Hunt Library | Duke Energy Halls Lobby
- 5:30 – 6:30 PM | Leveraging LinkedIn | Duke Energy Hall
- 6:45 – 7:45 PM | Interview Skills | Duke Energy Hall
- 8:00 – 8:30 PM | Alumni Panels | Duke Energy Hall
- 8:30 – 9:00 PM | Networking Reception | Duke Energy Hall
Students will be able to attend one of the following interactive workshops:
- LinkedIn Workshop
- 85% of jobs are found through networking and many professional network connections are established and maintained through LinkedIn. This workshop session focuses on how to build a LinkedIn profile that makes you more marketable to recruiters, how to expand your professional network, and how to effectively search for job opportunities.
- Interview Workshop
- Be prepared for your next interview! This workshop session focuses on how to prepare to confidently interview for job opportunities and grad school programs while discussing topics such as what to wear, how to answer tough questions, good interview talking points, demonstrating the skills you have developed during your international experience, and more!
Former international students and study abroad alums will share about what they’re doing now, what their job search process was like, and how their international experiences have been a marketable strength. Have a question you’d like to ask? You can submit it below with your registration or submit live during the panel.