Global Advantage: Career Prep for Globally Engaged Students
Join the units of NC State Global on Wednesday, February 16 for an event that will teach you how to leverage your global experiences and cultural competence at career fairs and in the job hunt. Students will participate in a workshop followed by a panel discussion with alumni on how their global experiences helped them get to where they are today. The event will wrap up with a networking reception.
As a result of participating in this event, students will recognize international experience as a competitive advantage when job searching and develop skills to articulate its benefits. Students will get advice on the job search process from NC State alums who have been in their shoes and gain confidence through networking with NC State alums, staff, and fellow students in preparation for upcoming career fairs and future job searches.
Business casual dress is encouraged but not required.
- 5:45 | Check-in
Hunt Library, Duke Energy Halls Lobby
- 6:00 – 6:45 PM | Workshop
‘Globalizing’ your Elevator Pitch’ – Duke Energy Halls ABC
- 6:45 – 7:30 PM | Alumni Panel | Duke Energy Hall ABC
- 7:30 – 8:00 PM | Networking Reception | Duke Energy Hall ABC
Students will be able to attend one of the following interactive workshops:
- ‘Globalizing’ your Elevator Pitch
- Sell yourself verbally! Successful networking connections are a product of practiced skills in communication and persuasion–often in just a few minutes of time. Use these opportunities to pair your academic credentials with global experience to tell your own story. This workshop session focuses on understanding, crafting and rehearsing an individual introduction that could help you to make important personal connections in your career field.
- Leverage Your Global Experience During The Interview Process
- Nail the job interview! Interview skills are often said to be an art form. How you represent yourself lets the employer know if you are the right candidate for the position. This workshop session focuses on demonstrating the skills you have built during your international experience(s).
Former international students and study abroad alums will share about what they’re doing now, what their job search process was like, and how their international experiences have been a marketable strength. Have a question you’d like to ask? You can submit it below with your registration. The night of the event we will also have notecards for you to submit additional questions.