The Global Courtyard serves as a space to showcase how NC State strives to bring the world to campus. The Global Courtyard is located in a once inconspicuous space between Primrose and Tompkins Halls, just a short walk from the Memorial Belltower and Court of North Carolina. Anchored by the Dream of Flight sculpture by NC State alumnus Heath Satow, the space is able to accommodate a wide range of events and can hold 60 to 75 people, with movable seating for 20.
Global Courtyard Dedication
Due to the recent campus restrictions placed on on-campus events, we are postponing the dedication ceremony until a future, undetermined date.
Global Courtyard Celebrates International Education
A once inconspicuous space between Primrose and Tompkins Halls will soon transform into a gathering place for international-focused events. Upon completion of landscaping and renovations, the Global Courtyard will showcase how NC State strives to bring the world to campus.
Alumnus Heath Satow’s “Dream of Flight” Sculpture moves to Global Courtyard
In summer 2018, sculptor and NC State College of Design alumnus Heath Satow (BEDA, ’91) posted a call for help on Facebook. He had just moved to Utah when he was contacted by the RDU Airport Authority, saying that his Dream of Flight sculpture had to be removed. Over two thousand miles away, Satow was hoping that a friend in Raleigh would come to his aid.
Holding an event in the Global Courtyard
The Global Courtyard is available for use by Global Engagement-related and University-related groups. All organizations, groups, and individuals using this facility are expected to observe the rules and procedures governing the utilization of this space.
- Reservations can be made online by completing the form below. NC State University students or employees may submit a reservation request. However, the “person responsible” (see No. 5 below) must be a faculty or staff member at NC State University.
- This reservation form helps to organize groups from having multiple events in the courtyard at the same time. No event planning services are provided. Groups are responsible for asking students occupying the courtyard at the time of their event to move.
- Trash/Recycling – there is one set of trash/recycling receptacles at the entrance of the courtyard. Should more be needed, groups will need to work with NC State Recycling to request additional trash/recycling receptacles delivered to the courtyard. At the conclusion of the event, groups must ensure that all trash is properly disposed of and the area is free of litter/debris. Permanent trash can should not be left overflowing.
- If any specialized services are needed, students should contact Rave! Events.
- The Global Courtyard is equipped with wifi coverage and numerous outdoor power outlets.
- The facility may be reserved from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday.
- First priority will be given to Global Engagement-related groups in which reservations may be made as early as one year in advance. Non-Global Engagement users may receive firm booking 30 days prior to the scheduled event.
- A “person responsible” is an NC State University faculty or staff member (NOT a student), MUST agree to attend the event and take full responsibility for the event and its related activities in the Global Courtyard area, including behavior of all attendees.
- Groups are required to familiarize themselves with the current COVID-19 restrictions on in-person events and abide by these restrictions. For more information, visit: https://www.ncsu.edu/coronavirus/
- No alcoholic beverages permitted on the premises at any time unless after 5 p.m. and there’s an alcohol permit approved and signed by the Dean of the associated group.
- At the conclusion of the event, groups must ensure that all trash is properly disposed of and the area is free of litter/debris. Permanent trash can should not be left overflowing.
- As this space is adjacent to buildings, we ask for no smoking in the courtyard.
- Groups should use restrooms located in Tompkins Hall. Access to Primrose Hall is not available.
- No overnight functions allowed. The event must end by 10 p.m. Monday-Thursday and by 5:30 on Friday.
- Users are expected to keep noise (e.g. music, crowd, P.A system) down to a reasonable level, especially when classes are in session. Keep in mind that classes meet until 10 p.m. Monday -Thursday in Tompkins, Caldwell and Winston Halls and that there are classrooms located directly adjacent to the Global Courtyard.
- Furniture not intended to be moved MUST not be moved. Table and chairs must be returned to their original locations.
- The user is responsible for seeing that the area is clean after the event. The area must be returned to its original condition and arrangement after the event.
- If a sponsoring organization knows in advance it cannot abide by these restrictions, it should find another location for its event. Groups that do not observe these restrictions will not be permitted to use the facility again.