The purpose of the Kelly Memorial Fund, a major endowment, is to promote better cooperation between the scientific and technical communities of Japan and the United States. The fund supports scholarships and fellowships for exchange students in the sciences and engineering at NC State and for study of the Japanese language. Funding can also be used to support faculty travel to Japan as well as exchanges for joint research relating to technology, engineering and Japanese language programs.
Created by the NC Japan Center in 1985, the fund memorializes efforts established by Harry C. Kelly, former Provost and Vice Chancellor of NC State from 1967-1974, who was an outstanding ambassador to Japanese science.
The primary goal of the program is to assist NC State faculty in developing relationships that will lead to further exchange and collaboration with the country of Japan.
Estimated Number of Awards and Anticipated Funding Amount
Approximately $15,000 will be available annually for awards. Awards typically range between $2,500 and $3,750, with an average of 4 – 6 awards per year.
A minimum 25% cost match is preferred from internal or external sources and should be included in the total project budget. Internal sources may be college and/or department support.
Each proposal will undergo an internal review based on the following criteria:
- Potential for future exchange and collaboration: The prospects for establishing long-term relationships and programs are high and clearly defined.
- Appropriate and justified budget: To leverage funds, a documented cost match of at least 25% is preferred.
- Qualifications: The technical merit of the proposal is clearly defined and reinforced by a letter of support and/or cost sharing.
Proposals are accepted every fall and spring semester with deadlines of March 31 and November 30 in 2016.
To apply for funding, send the following materials to email@example.com as a combined PDF attachment.
- Kelly Memorial Fund Cover Page
- Project description including scope of work and benefits for NC State in two pages or less
- Budget justification including description of budget items in one page or less
Requests will be reviewed by the NC Japan Center’s Academic Advisory Committee twice annually. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.