Application and Fee Information
*Each passport application MUST include either a CHECK or a MONEY ORDER*
- First-Time Adult:
- First-time applicants, or those who do not qualify for a renewal (for instance, if you were a minor when your last passport was issued to you), Carefully review these instructions before your appointment with us.
- Children ages 15 and under cannot apply for a passport by themselves.Carefully review these instructions before your appointment with us.
- Children ages 16 and 17 will follow the instructions for a First-Time Adult, but should attend with one parent to show parental awareness.
- Naturalized Citizens:
- If you are a naturalized citizen, carefully review these instructions before your appointment with us.
- If you qualify for a Renewal, you can submit your own Renewal application yourself through the USPS mail; you are not required to visit a passport acceptance facility. Click here for instructions and to see whether you qualify for a Renewal. (If you do not meet all the qualifications for a Renewal, you will need to follow instructions above for the “First-time Adult”.) If you would like to purchase photos from us for your renewal application, you are welcome to visit during either our walk-in photo hours or renewal assistance hours (see walk-in hours below). If you would like for us to review your renewal application prior to mailing it, we can assist you during our Renewal assistance hours only.
Making an Appointment
Our office accepts passport applications BY APPOINTMENT ONLY:
- Each applicant requires a separate appointment.
- Official passport photos can be taken at the time of appointment.
- Please plan to arrive 10 – 15 minutes prior to your appointment time.
- Forms are available in the Passport Services office, but you are strongly encouraged to download and complete your application form prior to coming to the office.
- We strongly encourage you to review the travel.state.gov website thoroughly before visiting Passport Services at NC State, particularly if you have any unusual circumstances or questions, so that you arrive to your appointment prepared with everything you need.
Walk-in hours for Renewals and Photos:
We offer walk-in hours for assistance with Renewal applications (click here for instructions and to see if you qualify) and for U.S. Passport photos. Photos are $16.09 and payable by debit card, credit card, check, or money order (made payable to NCSU Passport Services.)
- Mondays: 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Walk-in hours for Photos ONLY:
Photos are $16.09 and payable by debit card, credit card, check, or money order (made payable to NCSU Passport Services.)
- Mondays: 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Thursdays: 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Our office will be closed during University Official Holidays/Closings. View the calendar for a complete list of closings.
Appointment Hours for Passport Applications
- Mondays, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Thursdays, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Fridays, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
If you need your new passport in a hurry:
Our office is an official Passport Acceptance Facility, just like many post offices. The fastest service any local Passport Acceptance Facility can offer is “Expedited Service”, which allows you to receive your passport within 2-3 weeks (for an additional $60 fee). If your travel plans require a new passport sooner than three weeks, you will likely need to go instead to a regional Passport Agency (instead of a local Passport Acceptance Facility like us) – the nearest Passport Agencies are in Washington, DC or Atlanta, GA, and appointments are required. For more information, we strongly encourage you to always consult the Department of State’s official webpage travel.state.gov rather than other websites, many of which are misleading and selling unnecessary services. Here is the Department of State’s webpage for getting a passport in a hurry: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html
You can also contact the Department of State’s official National Passport Information Center (NPIC) toll free at 1-877-487-2778 (TDD: 1-888-874-7793) or by email at NPIC@state.gov
If you require disability-related accommodations for your passport appointment, please contact email@example.com or 919-515-2249 to arrange services. Early requests are strongly encouraged to allow sufficient time to meet your access needs. A minimum of two business days notice is required to ensure accommodation.
All fees are non-refundable. If photos taken at the NC State Passport Services office were rejected, please bring the rejection letter from the Department of State and we will re-take photos at no charge during our regular passport acceptance hours or walk-in hours.
Email is the preferred method of communication. Due to the high volume of calls, we may not be able to answer the phone or return voicemails.
Witherspoon is a 5-minute walk from the nearest parking deck.
Witherspoon Student Center, Room 321
2810 Cates Ave.
Raleigh, NC 27695
Make a real impact!
Help ensure that all NC State students, regardless of financial need, have access to life-changing international experiences.Global Giving