Global Engagement Institute
Special Funding Opportunity for Spring 2024
The Global Engagement Institute is on hiatus for the 2023-24 academic year and will return with an updated curriculum for the 2024-25 academic year. The new program for GEI will be announced in 2024 with calls for proposals to follow.
Special Funding Opportunity for Spring 2024: In lieu of the GEI, the Office of Global Engagement (OGE) welcomes faculty and EHRA professional staff applications to participate in the 2024 University Global Partnership Network (UGPN) annual conference at the University of Surrey in Guildford, Surrey, UK from May 13-15, 2024.
The University Global Partnership Network (UGPN) provides a foundation for international collaboration that enables academics and students from some of the world’s top universities to work together on issues of global importance.The UGPN is comprised of three universities – NC State, the University of São Paulo, Brazil and the University of Surrey, UK. The network promotes sustainable world-class research, education and knowledge transfer through conferences, a Research Collaboration Fund, collaborative online learning through the UGPN Academy, as well as student and staff mobility.
The annual conference brings together representatives from member institutions to explore a common theme through presentations and workshops. The overall theme for the 2024 UGPN conference is “Securing a Sustainable Society: New Approaches and Inclusive Practices.” Additional details will be posted soon on the UGPN events page.
Overview of Funding Opportunity
This funding opportunity will support up to 8 selected participants to attend the UGPN conference. Participants will also gain insight into NC State’s global partnerships and pathways for developing international research, academic, and student programs.
Applicants should be prepared to identify how their research interests align with the themes of the conference and how knowledge of global partnerships may benefit their scholarship or professional development.
In advance of the conference, the Office of Global Engagement will host two preparatory sessions in Spring 2024.These meetings will
- provide an overview of the UGPN,
- highlight collaborative research projects between UGPN institutions,
- offer insight into the strategic planning process for international partnership development, and
- prepare participants for effective networking at the UGPN conference.
Selected participants will receive $3,000 to offset the cost of travel and registration for the UGPN conference, with the understanding that home academic departments (or other sources) will provide matching funds to help cover conference travel costs.
- Full-time, permanent NC State faculty (all tracks) and EHRA professional staff are eligible to apply for this opportunity.
- Applications must be submitted using official NCSU email accounts.
- Participants must attend both Spring 2024 preparatory sessions to be eligible for travel funding.
- Funds awarded must be used for travel to the 2024 UGPN conference.
- Applications must be accompanied by a letter of support from the department head or chair.
- Applicants must verify that $3,000 in matching funds are available from their home department (or another source) to support travel.
- Priority will be given to faculty and EHRA professional staff members who have not previously participated in UGPN conferences or activities.
- Announcement of award opportunity: December 6th, 2023
- Deadline for applications: January 31st, 2024, 11:59 pm EST
- Announcement of selected applicants: February 8th, 2024
- Preparatory session one: Friday, March 1, 2024, 9:00 – 10:30 am
- Preparatory session two: Friday, March 29, 2024 1:30 – 3:00 pm
- UGPN Conference: May 13-15, 2024. Note: Participants should plan to depart the U.S. no later than Saturday, May 11, 2024, to allow for travel time to the conference site in Surrey.
Office of Global Engagement
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 515-3201