Global Engagement Institute
The annual Global Engagement Institute (GEI) provides professional development opportunities for faculty and staff interested in developing research, scholarship or academic programs that strengthen and enhance NC State’s collaboration with global partners. Each year, a GEI cohort of up to 12 faculty and/or staff members is selected to participate in a variety of activities focusing on a world region or topical orientation. (Call for Proposals)
2021/22 Call for Proposals
For the 2021-2022 academic year, the emphasis will be on developing academic and research collaboration through the Global Learning for All initiative. This initiative expands upon existing high impact opportunities such as study abroad, international student mobility, and traditional student/faculty mobility to include a wider variety of program models, primarily by providing many more online or virtual global learning options, as well as campus-based curricular and co-curricular global activities.
Participants can choose between two tracks:
- The development of an expertise in Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) connections that create virtual, interactive educational opportunities for faculty and students through shared experiences across international borders. The Institute will utilize NC State’s membership in the SUNY COIL network to provide expert workshops with the expectation that participants in this track will develop their own COIL experience for the 2022-23 academic year.
- Building on our global partnerships and curricular and co-curricular initiatives already underway at NC State on the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs), this track will identify ways these initiatives, such as the two year SDG campus programming initiative, SDG course inventory and Academics Working Group in the Sustainability office can more effectively engage students, faculty, staff, and the wider community in these activities.
Institute activities will include both in-person and virtual workshops, seminars, and expert consultation with local and global partners. It will culminate with a trip to a peer institution in the US to study best practices and share the NC State experience. We envision this to be a sustainable endeavor that will enable the participants to build active collaborations and develop leadership to support global engagement at NC State.
- Full-time permanent NC State faculty (all tracks) or EHRA professional staff are eligible for nomination to the Global Engagement Institute.
Benefits to the Participant
- Structured experience to gain knowledge from NC State faculty and staff members engaged in the Global Learning for All initiative
- Professional development workshops/activities throughout the academic year
- Networking opportunities with other experienced global education leaders
- Funding for course or activity development ($1,000 to the individual in supplemental pay) and potential Institute travel, SUNY COIL workshop participation or other professional development opportunities.
- Announcement of Call for Nominations: September 20, 2021
- Deadline for Nominations to Colleges/Units: October 20, 2021
- Deadline for College Nominations to NC State Global: November 1, 2021
- Announcement of selected Global Engagement Institute members: November 8, 2021
- Orientation and networking reception: November 30, 2021
- Programming during the spring semester with potential travel in May / June 2022
- View the full Call for Proposals for additional details about the program, including, the application process, expectations and deliverables for the Institute.
Office of Global Engagement