2020 Call for Proposals
This fund supports international activities leading to research collaborations between researchers at the University Global Partnership Network’s partner institutions. Network members are top universities around the world including The University of São Paulo in Brazil, University of Surrey in the United Kingdom and The University of Wollongong in Australia.
The annual fund of $240,000 has supported 56 international research projects to date. Awards support substantive engagement that leads to high-quality outputs — such as international research training for graduate students or early career faculty, publication of joint papers from collaborative research, or joint research bids.
Collaborations can be bi-lateral, tri-lateral or quadrilateral. Funding of up to $10,000 is available per university partner per project. By way of illustration, an award for a bi-lateral project would provide funding of $20,000 in total. Funding is available for one calendar year.
Format and Guidelines
UGPN research proposals must include the following sections:
- Overview: title of the project, principal investigator (typically one PI is nominated, although there can be one PI for each collaborating Partner if this is deemed useful), contact information, duration of project, a 1,000 character synopsis of the proposed project, and a list of 5 key words.
- Project Description: specifically address who your collaborators are, objectives of the collaboration, how the proposed activities align with the goals of the RCF, especially the potential for global impact. The description should include specific objectives and clearly articulate the activities or plan of work, which would be undertaken to achieve those objectives. It should be in sufficient detail that reviewers can evaluate the proposed plan according to the evaluation criteria. Remember some reviewers may come from outside your discipline so use language that those lacking expertise in your area will understand.
In addition, the following must be uploaded with the proposal :
- Budget with Justification
- CV (2 page maximum) of the PI(s) including education, professional appointments, synergistic activities relevant to this grant application, and up to ten (10) publications related to this research or scholarship.
- Letter(s) from faculty deans (or their designees) for each collaborating institution within the UGPN and from sources of any matching funds.
- Call for project proposals – April 2020
- Submission deadline – April 2020
- Successful projects selected in June 2020
- Funded projects to be completed by July 31, 2021
2019 Funded Proposals
- Artificial Intelligence for Sustainable Project Management (NC State, University of University of São Paulo, University of Surrey, University of Wollongong)
- NC State lead – Munindar Singh, Alumni Distinguished Graduate Professor, Department of Computer Science
- Integrated Safety and Control of Powertrain System for Electric Vehicles (NC State, University of Surrey, University of Wollongong)
- NC State lead – Tiegang Fang, professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Optimizing Control Interventions for Visceral Leishmaniasis in Multiple Settings (NC State, University of São Paulo, University of Surrey)
- NC State lead – Gustavo Machado, assistant professor, Department of Population Health and Pathobiology
- Polyploid Genomic Tool Development (NC State, University of University of São Paulo)
- NC State lead – Zhao-Bang Zeng, William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor, Bioinformatics Research Center, Department of Horticultural Science
- UGPN Consortium to Tackle the Global Burden of Antimicrobial Resistance (NC State, University of São Paulo, University of Surrey, University of Wollongong)
- NC State lead – Sid Thakur, professor, Department of Population Health and Pathobiology
- Using Digital Literacy Tools to Document Young Children’s Understanding of Place (NC State, University of Wollongong)
- NC State lead – Angela Wiseman, associate professor, Department of Teacher Education and Learning Services