Skip to main content
The Graduate School Context
- Caplan, N. (2016). Grammar Choices for Graduate and Professional Writers (2nd edition). University of Michigan Press.
- Carter, M. (2007). Ways of knowing, doing, and writing in the disciplines. College Composition & Communication, 58(3), 385-418.
- Casanave, C. P. (2016). What advisors need to know about the invisible ‘real life’ struggles of doctoral dissertation writers. In S. Simpson et al (Eds.), Supporting Graduate Student Writers: Research, Curriculum and Program Design (97-116). University of Michigan Press.
- Cheng, A. (2007). Transferring generic features and recontextualizing genre awareness: Understanding writing performance in the ESP genre-based literacy framework. English for Specific Purposes, 26(3), 287–307.
- Cheng, A. (2008). Analyzing genre exemplars in preparation for writing: The case of an L2 graduate student in the ESP genre-based instructional framework of academic literacy. Applied Linguistics, 29(1), 50–71.
- Curry, M. J. (2016). More than language: graduate student writing as ‘disciplinary becoming’. In S. Simpson et al (Eds.), Supporting Graduate Student Writers: Research, Curriculum and Program Design (78-96). University of Michigan Press.
- Hyland, K. (2009). Writing in the disciplines: research evidence for specificity. Taiwan International ESP Journal, 1(1), 5-22.
- Kuteeva, M. (2013). Graduate learners’ approaches to genre-analysis tasks: Variations across and within four disciplines. English for specific purposes, 32(2), 84-96.
- Lee, A. & Aitchison, C. (2009). Writing for the doctorate and beyond. In D. Boud & A. Lee, (Eds.), Changing practices of doctoral education, (99-111). Routledge.
- Li, Y. (2006). Negotiating knowledge contribution to multiple discourse communities: A doctoral student of computer science writing for publication. Journal of Second Language Writing, 15(3), 159–178.
- Simpson et al. (Eds.) (2016) Supporting Graduate Student Writers: Research, Curriculum and Program Design. University of Michigan Press.
- Swales, J. & Feak, C. (2012). Academic Writing for Graduate Students (3rd edition). University of Michigan Press.
- Yasuda, S. (2011). Genre-based tasks in foreign language writing: Developing writers’ genre awareness, linguistic knowledge, and writing competence. Journal of Second Language Writing, 20(2), 111-133.