Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions about international travel, visitors, hiring, partnerships, and more. If you do not find the answer to your question through a linked resource below, please reach out to us at

If requested, please defer to your department/college’s internal protocols of international project, hiring, partnership or other requests.

Exchange and Study Abroad Agreements

Faculty are urged to consult with the Study Abroad Office as soon as they know they may want to develop a new program. For new programs, planning is generally a two-year process. Interested individuals should submit the Faculty Interest Form and view the program development and proposal process.

MOU and International Cooperative Agreements must be authorized by the Chancellor or Provost. Consulting with the Office of Global Engagement is the first step to successful global partnership-building in all scenarios. View MOU guidelines and contact Sarah Olson, Director of Global Partnerships, to get started.

There are numerous policies and guidelines published by SACSCOC associated with the establishment of new sites (domestic or international) and development of collaborative academic arrangements (MOU’s,etc.).  The document Substantive Change for SACSCOC Accredited Institutions addresses types of changes that must be reported to SACSCOC, including off-campus instructional locations. The document Agreements Involving Joint and Dual Academic Awards addresses the establishment of collaborative academic arrangements with partner institutions. Before considering a partnership involving a new site or any type of collaborative academic arrangement please contact Fashaad Crawford, Associate Vice Provost for Assessment and accreditation.

Faculty Abroad

Faculty lecturing contracts depend on laws specific to the destination country and the length of time of the visit.

Visa restrictions are country specific. You may view travel visa requirements and resources via services such as VisaHQTravisa, or CIBT Visas.

Reimbursement or direct payment for lodging in an establishment that is being rented out by a third-party or an establishment treated as an apartment building by state or local law or regulation is not allowed unless approved in advance by the University Controller’s Office, as delegated by the Office of State Budget and Management. Non-commercial lodging includes any lodging option that is not a commercially licensed hotel, hostel, or government/university dorm. Non-commercial lodging can be found on websites such as Airbnb, HomeAway, VRBO, and As a state agency, university paid expenses must follow all applicable laws and ordinances. This policy applies to all payment methods including direct payments to vendors, p-card payments, and personal reimbursements. If an employee does not secure approval prior to their travel start date, the employee will assume the financial liability of the Third Party / Non-Commercial lodging expense if it cannot be approved. Unauthorized p-card costs must be reimbursed back to the university. Full policy details may be found by visiting Lodging in Non-Commercial Lodging Establishments webpage

You may use your PCard to make cash withdrawals abroad using your PIN. You must have prior approval from Card Services.

Hiring and Hosting International Employees or Visitors

You should contact your college and Human Resources (under International Employment). If the individual is teaching NC State curriculum, you should also contact Kelly Wick, Chief of Staff and Director of Projects and Planning.

You should contact your college, Human Resources (under International Employment), and the Office of International Services for guidance.

International scholars who will be coming to NC State based on their own funding or home institution support often have position titles such as ‘Visiting Scholar’ or ‘Visiting Researcher’. Other possible visa options for unpaid positions are J-2 with work authorization, F-1 Student with Optional Practical Training (OPT), and J-1 Student with Academic Training (A.T.). While visitor visa categories (B-1/B-2, etc.) may sometimes substitute, it is strongly preferred that all qualified visitors coming to NC State from overseas come under J-1 visa sponsorship. Contact the Office of International Services for initial support and Human Resources (under International Employment).

You should reach out to Human Resources (under International Employment), Payroll (under International Compensation & Taxation) and General Counsel for consultation as soon as activity is proposed.

You should reach out to the Office of International Services, the Graduate SchoolHuman Resources (under International Employment), Payroll (under International Compensation & Taxation) and General Counsel for consultation.

There is no set long-term housing from the university for international visitors. Visitors are advised to coordinate long-term housing as early as possible and can contact University Housing or use services such as Airbnb and VRBO. NC State also has set rates at several nearby hotels including AloftThe StateView HotelHoliday Inn Express & Suites, and Marriott City Center. Please contact each hotel directly for the most up-to-date NC State rate.

NC State is currently working on locking in currency exchange rates for contracts at the institutional level.


No, NC State Prague is not recognized as an EU organization. NC State is essentially a foreign company registered to do business in the Czech Republic, with NC State Prague operating as a branch of NC State there.

Paying International Employees or Visitors

Short-term services abroad should be paid either with cash through a travel advance or a with a vendor invoice. Contact the NC State General Counsel (International and Study Abroad practice group) for specific inquiries about contracts, including jurisdiction of contracts and confidentiality concerns.

Faculty members do not need to be claimed as an employee of NC State, but faculty credentials need to be addressed. Faculty titles should be determined at the departmental level. Please see NC State REG 05.20.40 on Instructor Qualifications.